Service Outage

Report a Problem:  To report a possible water main break, service leak or sewer overflow, please call our office at (540) 658-8695 during regular business hours or (540) 658-4857 on nights, weekends, or holidays. A qualified technician will be dispatched to investigate and assess the problem.

Business hours are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and Thursday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


Be Prepared: 
Service Outage FAQs
I have a sewer back-up, what do I do?
Call Utilities Field Operations at (540) 658-8695, the Operations Office will send a crew as soon as possible. If it is after hours, please call the emergency line at (540) 658-4857.
What do I do if I see water coming out of my meter barrel?
Please call the Utilities Field Operations  office at (540) 658-8695 and we will send a crew out to inspect your meter.
If someone has painted my yard, does that mean they will be digging up my yard?
When a utility company is scheduled to perform work, the first thing they must do is call Miss Utility of Virginia notification system. This alert requires all utility companies to respond and locate their lines with paint. If you would like to know what work is going to be done on your property, visit the 811 website at, then go to ticket search and search by street address for more information. You may also dial 811.
Why is my water pressure low?
Low water pressure can be due to a water leak, flushing of the water main, a crimped water service line, or may simply be due to your home or building being situated at a high elevation. Customers whose pressure seems low should contact us to determine whether the low pressure is due to a piping problem or simply due to location. If the low pressure is determined to be due to location, you may need to have a water booster pump installed at your own cost. 
Why is my water discolored?
Naturally occurring minerals (primarily iron and manganese) flowing within the water are typically to blame for water discoloration. These minerals settle in water pipelines when water usage is low. When a water main breaks, the natural flow, direction and pressure of the system changes which stirs up the minerals and discolors the water. The Department of Utilities will flush the system to remove discolored water, however some discoloration can remain in your home’s water lines until you flush it out at the faucet.

If discoloration occurs to your tap water, run your Cold water for 5 minutes. Do not to run hot water tap because this pulls water out of your hot water tank. If the water fails to clear after 5 minutes, wait for two hours and repeat process above. If the water is still discolored, please contact the Utilities Operations Office
I hit the sewer clean out pipe cover with my mower. Where can I get a another lid?
You can purchase a replacement cap at any hardware type store that carries pipe. It is very important this pipe remains covered at all times to prevent you from having a sewer backup
There is water bubbling out of the ground, who should I call to report this?
Please call the Field Operations office and we will send a  crew member out to investigate for a water main break. 
There is a sewer-like odor in my home. What can I do?
Check your home for a dry trap or drain. This could be a floor drain or bathroom in the basement you don’t use often. Put a pitcher of water in your floor drain, and flush your commode, run water in the tub and sink. You must keep all traps wet to prevent any sewer gas from coming into your home.
How can I get notifications for emergency repairs in my area?
Go to to sign up and start receiving Stafford Alerts.
My pipes are frozen, what should I do?

Here are a few preventive measures that can help you when temperatures dip below freezing:

  • Keep doors and windows to the outside tightly closed.
  • Insulate pipes in any unheated or drafty areas. Hardware and plumbing supply stores carry insulation to keep pipes from freezing.
  • Seal all leaks in crawl spaces and basements.
  • Shut off and drain the pipes leading to your outside faucets and/or hose bibs so no water is left to freeze, expand and cause a leak in these lines.
  • Know where your main shut off valve is and label it. Minimize the potential for water damage by ensuring that everyone in the household knows how to shut off the water in case of an emergency.
  • If a home is vacant, maintaining an inside temperature that will help keep pipes from freezing.

During significant cold snaps, follow these tips: 

  • Open the cabinets beneath any place with a water supply next to an exterior wall, such as the kitchen and bathroom sinks.
  • To prevent your pipes from freezing, allow a faucet to drip cold water slowly. The faucet you choose should be the one that is the greatest distance from your main water shut off valve.
  • If your pipes freeze, never thaw a pipe with an open flame. You can use a hair dryer on low or a portable heater, but avoid using electrical appliances if there is standing water. Use warm water to soak towels, then wrap the towels around the frozen pipes.

Freezing pipes are one of the most expensive risks homeowners face. Know the location of your main water shut-off valve. Minimize the potential of water damage by ensuring that everyone in the house knows how to shut off the water in an emergency.

If you suspect having a frozen pipe, it is highly recommended that you contact a local plumber of your choice.